Jr High U.S. Literature and Composition Level 1 | an Online, Virtual Literature and Composition Class for Junior High and Early High School Students
Jr High U.S. Literature and Composition will cover reading, annotating, and writing introductory persuasive essays about 10 U.S. literature novels. Each weekly online class will explore the content of the novels as well as writing techniques. Assessments will include completed essays (a rubric/checklist will be provided so that expectations are clear), and overall grade will be determined by a combination of class participation, assignments completed, and essay presentations.
U.S. Literature and Composition will be a fun and engaging class that will get your Middle School student thinking, reading, and writing about the United States. This is a perfect class to prepare your student well for the more rigorous demands of High School level Literature and Composition.
Pair U.S. Literature and Composition with True North Homeschool Academy’s Middle School U.S. History Class and U.S. Geography class for a robust year of learning and fun! Purchase a Bundle for greater savings!
Required Materials for U.S. Literature and Composition:
- Lost Tools of Writing, Level One Student Workbook
- Portable Walls for Structure and Style Students from IEW
*10 literature novels:
- Lost Tools of Writing, Level One Student Workbook; Portable Walls for Structure and Style Students from IEW
- Award-winning Literature that will be read for U.S. Literature and Composition
- Brady, by Jean Fritz; Bound for Oregon, by Jean Van Leeuwen; Across Five Aprils, by Irene Hunt; Little Town on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder; Ashes of Roses, by MJ Auchr; Blue Willow, by Doris Gates; Miracles on Maple Hill, by Virginia Sorensen.
Prerequisites for U.S. Literature and Composition: IEW experience is helpful, but not required.
This class is also appropriate for 9th-grade students who want a solid Literature and Composition class. Students learn Lost Tools of Writing Essay 1-6. For Essays 7-10, check out Jr. U.S. Literature and Composition, Level 2.