Why should your homeschooler study critical languages? Critical Language Study is a foreign language study that puts your homeschooler ahead of the pack.
Foreign Language study can be a struggle for even the most dedicated Homeschooler. It’s just hard to teach what you don’t know. Thankfully, there are so many great resources available now for instruction with fluent speakers and teachers, that it’s just a matter of finding a great fit!
So, why not ramp your foreign language studies up a bit by going after a Critical Language?
What is “Critical Language?”
A Critical Language is a term used to designate a language where the demand outstrips the supply. In other words, there is a high need for a language professional in these areas, but our country can’t meet the supply.
These languages are essential for reasons of diplomacy, trade, and national security. Because diplomacy, trade and national security fluctuate, the list of Critical Languages fluctuates as well. The current list for Critical Languages includes 60 languages, which can be found here.
Everyone knows that foreign language study enhances your educational Opportunities, and develops leadership potential and career readiness. However, these languages are often overlooked because they may be considered more difficult to learn due to a different alphabet, pronunciation or grammatical structure; they are not closely related to English, like Spanish, French or German would be.
However, anyone who obtains proficiency in a Critical Language automatically has improved scholarship opportunities as well as improved career prospects, as jobs in government, international companies, non-profit organization or security services are looking for professionals with second language training.
Foreign Language Exploration
This class is a fun way to give kids a fun tasted of multiple languages: Every 2 weeks students are introduced to a new language: French, German, Spanish, Hebrew, Latin and ASL so that they are better informed as to what language they are interested in studying more in-depth! Such a fun way to get an overview of multiple languages! Taught live from True North teachers from around the world!
What are the best languages to get ahead with your career?
Mandarin and Spanish are on the list, time and again. In fact, if you know English, Spanish and Chinese, you can communicate with 2/3 of the world’s population, which never fails to look amazing on a resume!
Interested in Career Fields that utilize these languages?
- Become a Translator (having to do with the written word)
- Become an interpreter- this has to do with the spoken word, (this would be more challenging than translating).
- Apply for a foreign language Intelligence Officer
- Work as a Foreign Language Teacher
- Work as an International Sales Manager
- Work in a business/ Customer relations that requires a foreign language
- Work in the military as a linguist/ Foreign Service Officer
- Work as a Humanitarian/International Development Services Offices
- Work as a Foreign Correspondent
Jobs Opportunity Listings for those with a Second Language
- Government Jobs Language Careers
- Jobs available to those with Critical Languages
- Jobs for those with critical languages
- FBI Linguists
Scholarship opportunities available for those with Critical Language Training:
- Critical Language Scholarship
- National Security Education Program (NSEP)
- National Security Language Initiative for Youth
- Fellowships for Undergrads and Grad Students
- Boren Awards
- Fulbright Critical Languages Enhancement Awards
- Pro Fellow
Professional Organizations for Language Study and Specialists
- American Association of Language Specialists
- Modern Language Association
- American Translators Association
- National Association for Bilingual Education
Relevant Websites and Publications
- Faculty of Languages and Linguistics at Georgetown
- Translator Pub
- National Security Agency
- U.S. Department of State Careers
Interested in foreign Language study that will take you further? We offer multiple levels of Spanish , ASL Hebrew, Latin, German, ASL and French, at True North Homeschool Academy. Classes are taught by exceptional teachers from across the U.S, Mexico, Italy and Israel who are fluent polyglots. Culture studies and inspiration included!
Study the ancient language that was brought back to life just 2 generations ago! Taught live weekly from Israel, our students absolutely love this class and learning live from Israel weekly!
Check out other Foreign Language Resources:
FREE German Recipe E-book