Twentieth Century History – Modern World
Twentieth Century History – Modern World is a fascinating look at a century that changed what we do and how we do it! The century started with folks still in horse and buggies and ended with people exploring space in a shuttle. Wow! We will explore the 20th Century decade by decade meeting the people, viewing the events, and exploring the ideas behind them. We will also learn about the space race, Civil rights, Aliyah, fascism, communism, abortion, medical discoveries, transportation changes, technology, inventions, famous people, missionaries, Christian heroes, and major wars.
People students will meet this year:
- Sun Yat-Sen
- Thomas Edison
- Albert Einstein
- Henry Ford
- Joseph Stalin
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Adolph Hitler
- Corrie ten Boom
- King George VI
- Winston Churchill
- Golda Mier
- Mao Zedong
- Ho Chi Minh
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Rosa Parks
- Idi Amin
- Queen Elizabeth
- Elisabeth & Jim Eliot
- Fidel Castro
- Mother Teresa
- Ronald Reagan
- Maggie Thatcher
- Nelson Mandela
- And So Many More!!!!
Sports, movies, television, music, art, literature, fashion, and games will also be explored. We will meet businessmen, kings, queens, dictators, inventors, movie stars, singers, architects, and game creators this year. Prepare to explore the 20th Century like never before!
At home, students will read our textbook; then answer questions, fill in maps & timelines in the high school workbook. Students will also watch 1 historical movie per month of their choice related to the decade—suggestions will be given, and we suggest working on their timeline while they watch. Since we are online, we will be unable to do the hands-on history labs, so instead, students will choose 1 lab per semester to do at home, take photos, and share with fellow students.
Twentieth Century History – Modern World Required Materials:
A list of historical fiction is provided if students want to read for extra credit or just for the fun of it!
- Textbook: His Story in the Twentieth Century by Meredith Curtis
- Workbook: His Story for the Twentieth Century Middle School Workbook by Meredith Curtis
- Optional: His Story for the Twentieth Century Middle School Workbook Answer Key by Meredith Curtis
- HIS Story of the 20th Century Cookbook (get extra credit for cooking recipes from the 20th Century) by Meredith Curtis
Optional Historical Fiction
- Mary Poppins by Pamela L. Traveres
- The Singing Tree by Kate Seredy
- Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth & Ernestine Gilbreth Carey
- Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie
- The Winged Watchman by Hilda van Stockum
- The Cross & the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
- Peace Child by Don Richardson
- Alexi’s Secret Mission by Anita Deyneka
- No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green by Melody Green
- Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson & Cecil Murphy