Junior/Senior High Study Skills will cover material to help students explore different methods, tools, and resources for studying well. Online classes are scheduled every other week and will begin with a Survey Says segment to discuss the only homework — responding to a weekly survey posted in “myschoolapp.” Then, each online class will include an overview of topics such as identifying learning preferences, using multiple senses, organizing a study space, managing time, handling stress, memorizing, taking notes, annotating and outlining, researching, proofreading, citing sources, and preparing for tests. The syllabus, the weekly assignment spreadsheet, the weekly surveys, and lists and examples of resources will all be posted and accessible in the online classroom.
Students will build their confidence as they build their study skills for academic and life success!
Required Texts: None
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens, by Sean Covey
- How to Develop a Brilliant Memory Week By Week, by Dominic O’Brien
- How to Read a Book, by Mortimer Adler
- Who Said What? A Writer’s Guide to Finding, Evaluating, Quoting, and Documenting Sources (and Avoiding Plagiarism), by Kayla Meyers
- Easy Writer, by Andrea A. Lunsford
- ACT/SAT test prep books published by the ACT, Barron’s, Kaplan, The Princeton Review
- Khan Academy
- ACT/SAT practice apps