*Scroll to the bottom to get your mega ebook bundle freebie. 🙂
How to Create a Joyful Lifestyle of Learning
By Lisa Nehring of True North Homeschool Acadamy and It’s Not that Hard to Homeschool
2023 Great Homeschool Convention
Creating a Lifestyle of Learning in your home begins with some building blocks of success- with the hierarchy you build up starting at the bottom
- Systematize and Prioritize
- Prioritize: determine the order for dealing with (a series of items or tasks) according to their relative importance
- Systemize: arrange according to an organized system – then repeat
- Define system: a set of principles or procedures according to which something is done: an organized framework or method
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Role: the function assumed or part played by a person or thing in a particular situation (management)
- Responsibility: the opportunity or ability to act independently and make decisions without authorization
- Delegation: The person who is responsible for the role delegates the tasks.
Example: It’s my responsibility to manage “the kitchen.” It is my son’s role to empty the dishwasher and my daughter’s to clear the table (the manager delegated those tasks)
- Relationships vs. Tasks
- Relationship: the way in which two or more people or groups regard and behave to each other:
- Tasks: a piece of work to be done or undertaken.
Training our kids is a front-end load proposition. It seems like it's harder at the beginning, but not teaching/training is more difficult in the long run.
REMEMBER TO DO THE FIRST THINGS FIRST
1: Housework (THE BASICS)
- Food and Water: Planning, Budgeting, Comparison Shopping, Gathering & Storage, Preparing, Serving, Cleanup, Storing leftovers, Festivals & celebrations, Hydration= drinking enough clean water, Vitamins & Supplements, Long term prepping, Gardening & Preserving,
- Shelter: Safe & Clean, Comfortable, De-Cluttered, A Place for everything/ everything in its place, Functional for YOUR Family, Regular Maintenance, Upkeep, and upgrading – exterior, landscaping, interior, Zones for Eating, Sleeping, Hygiene, Working Out, Work, School, Rest, Family, Alone, Pets
- Clothing: Planning/comparison shopping, Gathering, Storing, Cleaning, Laundry- drycleaning, Sorting through, Repairs, Dressing up and special occasion clothing, How to match clothing, Accessories & make-up
Systematize, Prioritize, Determine, and Assign Roles and Responsibilities
2: Vocational work (SUPPORTING YOUR LIFESTYLE)
Do what you love, and the money will follow. OR Follow the Money & You’ll be able to do what you LOVE!
- Career Exploration- 4th IR- lots of job shifts and changes
- Preparation & Training- initial and ongoing
- Entrepreneurship & Lifestyle of learning is so important
- Entrepreneurial skills are a MUST
- Find a Money Mentor for today’s world
3: Time and Money
- Budgeting – Keeping track of money/ Spending money
- Are you getting by or creating wealth?
- Covering the Basics, Fun Money, Goals –short & long term
- It’s not how much you make. It’s about how much cash flow you have.
Allocating Time: One of your greatest resources
- Get out your calendar and Allocate
- Strategic Block- Delegating Responsibilities- Management
- Buffer Block –Small Task
- Breakout Block- Deep Work- larger task
- Adjust as Needed
4: Relational Work: Develop a Sense of Belonging
- Broader Community –faith and local community
Each person's Role in the Family
- Hierarchy of Family – birth order
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Looking out after each other
- 3 C’s of Education
- Communication, Creativity, Critical thinking, Collaboration
- Oher soft skills
5: Faith / Work
Faith Development: OUR ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES IN GOD’S FAMILY
- PERSONAL FAITH DEVELOPMENT: Bible Reading, Prayer, Fasting, Service
- Communal faith development
- Family prayer
- Family Service
- Family Ministry
- Family study
- Study as worship: Languages, Church History, Archeology, Memorizing Scripture, Understanding Genres of the Bible, Biblical Translations vs. paraphrasing
Rythmes and Routines
- Daily Flow of the Family
- Establish Weekly and Daily Check-ins: Weekly Family Planning Mtgs, Monthly big picture overview, Weekly Student Planning Mtg –habit training, schedule
- Daily routines: Morning Meetings, Meals, Chore-Time, Reading, and Study aloud
6. Lifestyle of Learning
Stages of learning
- Grammar – Knowledge
- Logic -Understanding
- Rhetoric –Wisdom
Active vs Passive Learning
- The difference between owning ones education vs. being spoon-fed
- Engage with material, don’t just regurgitate for a test.
- Feedback loop
- Various forms of assessment –Tests, Quizzes, Papers, Projects, Presentations, Group Work
Future Proof Your Kids
Limit Devices- Get OUTSIDE
What do you have in your hand? God uses ordinary people to do extraordinary things.
- Define Roles and Responsibilities
Pro Tip: Spend time on SET UP
- Utilized your “maid-servants”: Grocery pick up, Online ordering, Kitchen blender, Online classes, Cleaning service
Hire your kids
Be intentional: What is your Vision and DREAM for homeschooling?
Over plan and then Go with the flow!
Rock Your Homeschool Printable Ebook Mega Bundle
Homeschooling high school can be intimidating, but True North Homeschool Academy has your back! Get the resources you need to make it through, from printables to course of study ideas.
Subscribe below and receive over 20 printables and ebooks to rock your homeschool and launch learning, interest, and fun!