Do you use testing in your homeschool?
Over the years I've heard many complaints and negative aspects of testing. It seems like one of those subjects that every homeschooler has an opinion about. It's true that testing is not for every child. But are there good reasons to test, even if your state does not require it? I say yes!
When can testing be helpful?
To gain experience.
Like it or not, testing is part of our society. We take tests to drive, to gain access to college, even to serve in the military. It never hurts for your children to have at least a little testing experience under their belts. Some students are naturally gifted at testing while others struggle more, but it's probably safe to say that everyone can use some extra practice.
To know where you stand.
Yes, there are times when testing may not accurately represent your student's knowledge, but you may also find yourself pleasantly surprised at what your student does know. I think that sometimes our children read and glean things that we don't even realize. They can learn from a wide variety of sources, so sometimes a subject you perceived to be a struggle is right on course. Other times we may have missed something important. Testing can point out these strengths and deficits.
For peace of mind.
Sometimes as homeschool moms it's hard to know if we are doing enough, or being enough. There's been more than one day when I've felt like I was failing my children. Testing often shows me that things aren't nearly as bad as I think. Maybe that math I've worried about all year is actually on grade level, or maybe there are places reading can be improved. Either way, I know where we stand, and I can correct what I need to and lay aside worries that I don't need to visit.
So where do I find these tests?
So what's so great about the Performance Series Test?
- They can be taken in the privacy of your own home.
- Your student can complete them more than once during the school year.
- Your child tests at their own pace, eliminating anxiety.
- The test continues to asses the student in the subject matter, as long as your student can answer correctly, so you get an accurate read on what your student knows.
- Scores will save, year after year; giving you a clear graphic of how your student is doing over time.
- Standardized and nationally normed; meets the requirements of states who require annual assessments for home educators.
- You will receive a complete PDF of subject scores, along with a Lexile Reading Score.
- True North includes a 15 minute review of the scores with a teacher/advisor FREE
The Performance Series test is available for grades K through 12 in the following subjects:
- Language Arts
- Can be submitted for state requirements
- Can be taken more than once throughout the school year at no extra cost to you
- A personal consultation is included in the cost. Use this time to review scores and ask about recommendations for your student based on results.
- True North Homeschool Academy offers bundles for families with multiple students and for co-ops Bundles save you money: bundles of 5 (save $6 per test!), bundles of 10 ($22 per test) and bundles of 15 ($20 each) all offer a substantial discount. You still get all of the benefits mentioned above, but receive a group discount.
We hope if you have questions you will contact us – or order it now online HERE.